Friday, December 26, 2008

Trojan Vundo

For those of you who aren't computer savvy I will just flat out tell you that Trojan Vundo is the title of the virus that I got hit with on December 23, 2008 that made my Christmas holiday a complete pain in the rear!

My Norton Internet Security found the virus and deleted it. I thought I might be in the free and clear but then I kept getting these weird pop up ads from websites that normally didn't have pop-ups. This immediately was a sign to me that something was wrong so I ran my Norton Anti-Virus again it found some tracking cookies and deleted them but that was about it.

The problem persisted... So I've been looking up on the internet for any and all help I could get. I was going into several different file locations including the msconfig, system config utility, services.msc.... You name it for a while there I was trying it. After spending almost 3 days trying to get rid of this I was starting to lose hope.

I was at work tonight coming to grips with the fact that I might have to just give up, save all my pictures on to CD and then reinstall Windows or even worse have to wipe my hard drive and start over from scratch.

Well I came home tonight and decided to take one more crack at the computer and try and fix it. I came across another site that had information about the Error 1058 that I kept getting while trying to restart my Windows Update service so that I could install the fix for my Internet Explorer.

I scanned through the information and they had this program that they said would fix the problem. I had my doubts but I said well lets try this one and hope it works... So I went to this site...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

I downloaded the free program and ran it. I watched as it found 46 or so files that were infected/corrupted as a result of that virus. It fixed them all and said it needed to reboot my computer.

It rebooted, I was able to go to Services and restart my Windows Update... I then downloaded all the updates and my computer is working as well as it was before.... THANK GOD!

A lot of geek speak to say I fought a battle with the evil doers of the computer world and thankfully was able to find a solution to it all. I just wanted to post this blog with the story of my battle with the Trojan Vundo virus in hopes that if it helps just one person then they won't have to go through the same 3 days of computer hell as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment