Sunday, January 25, 2009

Calling it Quits

This past Thursday I made a trip to Walmart and figured I would call that my workout. Then on Friday I had a bad day at work. I decided on my way home that all I felt like doing was going home and after stopping by the convenience store to pick up some drinks....just sit at home drink and give up on the whole work out thing.

I had truly come to the decision, that maybe things weren't going the way I had wanted them to so why not just call it done. So Saturday morning I woke up and I had got a text from one of my friends telling me about the movie times for a movie we were going to go see.

So I sat around watched some TV ate some breakfast before it was time to go to the movie. I went to the Palms parked on the 3rd floor and took the stairs as I usually do. The difference though this time was that I was speeding down the stairs. I realized when I had got down to the first floor that my mind may have said it was okay with me quitting the whole exercise thing, but my body answered in it's own way that it was not ready to quit. In fact it has just started.

After the movie, I came back home and put on my workout gear and made my way to the apartment gym where I spent about an hour in there doing my thing. It's funny even though I only usually walk maybe to a light jog for a bit, that has been enough for my body to demand that I keep on doing it.

Even last night I was hanging out with some friends and co-workers while they played Rock Band and my legs just were wanting to bounce around and go and do something active. I have found it to be quite interesting.

The other thing I found funny about last night is how big of a deal people make of the fact that I don't drink anymore. People tell me it's a good thing that I don't drink anymore but then they come back 5 minutes later and say "I can't believe you're not drinking anymore!" As I have told them it's a personal choice. I can't control the decisions I make when I drink so I have made the decision not to leave the decision I make in the hands of alcohol.

So I just sit back, drink out of my bottle of water and just enjoy watching the festivities. I never realized that being the sober one can be just as entertaining and sometimes even more fun that being the drunk one. Watching people make comments about each other, spilling drinks on themselves, dropping their stuff and being overly clumsy... That's just good free entertainment.

Well tonight's the last day of my weekend and I will start my work week again on Monday so I look forward to the start of a new week. I have developed a new philosophy or two for my life. One of them is to work harder to show appreciation to the friends I have rather than wishing I was involved with people that I have up until now put up on a pedestal.

I'm putting me, myself and I first, next my true friends and then I will try and make time for the rest of those folks when I feel like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment